Permissions and roles
This article will cover these areas:
- Account Users: Adding and Removing
- Law Firm
- Company Roles
The Account user section of the Permissions and Roles page set special permissions for users on Carta including (but not limited to) company officers, external legal counsel, members of your finance or HR team, etc. Once these permissions are set, these users will be able to view your company's information on Carta and make changes to the cap table as necessary.
1. To invite a new person to the company, navigate to 'Permissions and roles' under Company.
2. Click 'Add person.'
Note: We recommend adding only those individuals that should have the ability to view the company's full capitalization record (e.g. downloading cap table reports, viewing board consents).
3. Choose appropriate permission level for the role.
Once you select a permission level, there will be a short explanation below the field.
Note: You cannot add users that are higher than your permission set. (e.g. Company Editors cannot add Legal Administrators).
This chart describes in detail the three roles and their permission level.
|Legal administrator||Legal administrators can view and edit all pages under the account. They can invite all users to the company.|
|Company Editor||Company Editors can view all pages, edit pages under the company section and invite company editors and viewers. Editors can also draft securities but can NOT issue, modify or transfer securities.|
|Company Viewer||Company Viewers can view all pages under the account, except for Settings and Access. Viewers can also download all reports.|
Removing Account users
To remove a user, from the "Company" > "Permissions and Roles" page, click on "edit" ot the right of the desired user's row.
From that modal, click on the trash can icon in the upper left corner to remove the user. They will not receive any notification of the removal.
You can grant limited blanket permissions to members of your law firm by adding your law firm on Carta. The law firm people page and permissions will be controlled by the law firm's admin (which is set up independently from your company's page on Carta), and users from the law firm will only be granted "view" or "edit" access. To grant legal admin permissions, you must add a user to the people page.
1. Click on "Company" and then "Permissions and roles" and then "Law firm."
2. Click on the green "Add law firm" button.
3. Enter the name of your law firm on Carta. If your law firm already has an account on Carta, their account will automatically link with yours. If not, we will be notified to set your law firm up on Carta.
Roles assign responsibility for specific actions within Carta to designated individuals. Users assigned to roles must have permission to access the company's account.
To assign a role to a new user, first grant them permission to this account on the people page (as shown in the instructions above under "People).
1. Click on "Company" and then "Permissions and roles" and then "Roles."
2. Choose the role that you wish to assign and select a user from the people page.
Signatories will be required to sign securities upon issuance. At least one person must act as a signatory at all times. Signatory privileges must be reassigned before a person can be deleted from the people page.
To assign a signatory role to a new user, first grant them permission to this account on the people page.
1. Click on "Company" and then "Permissions and roles" and then "Signatories."
2. Choose the signatory role that you wish to assign and select a user from the people page and a title.